There’s something about a chocolate brownie that we can’t resist, whether they are chewy, fudgy or cake-like. I would describe mine more as a cross between chewy and fudgy. I do know one thing – they never last very long, even when I hide them in the freezer!
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe!
MY SPECIAL BROWNIES
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or use a non-stick pan (I have used an 8×8, 9×9 and 11×7).
- Melt butter over very low heat and remove as soon as it is melted.
- Combine butter, olive or coconut oil, and sugar. Whisk 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla (lately I have been using Pure vanilla from Mexico – yum); whisk another minute.
- Gently add flour, cacao powder and salt (if using) until just mixed.
- Pour in pan. Use a spatula to spread it evenly and into the corners. Bake 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick near centre to check for doneness. See notes below.
- Remove and cool on rack for 10 minutes. Place in freezer for 15 minutes before cutting. Makes 16
- Melt butter on low heat on burner of stove (not microwave).
- If you don’t have cacoa powder, substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1/2 cup of walnuts can be added.
- Brownies tend to cook quicker in metal pans than glass ones.
- When testing my brownies, I always undercook just a little – toothpick inserted near centre should have a few crumbs clinging to it (better to be a bit moist than too dry).
- When done, I cool brownies in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- I then place them in the freezer for an additional 10-15 minutes – this makes cutting so much easier.
- For aesthetic purposes, I trim the outside edges before cutting (and hubby gets to eat all the trimmings). I do this after the initial cooling or after they have been in the freezer. (This is optional.)
- Once cut, I usually freeze them right away (in packages of 2 or 4) and then they can be taken out whenever. You can also store them in an airtight container.
- If you have a low THC tolerance (like I do), be careful of tasting the batter as you bake – it will sneak up on you. I speak from experience.
- Remember to eat responsibly and to know the laws in your area!
I know there are 20 brownies in the image. I made two batches so I could arrange them to take a photo.
For full medical disclosures and disclaimers, check out the footer area on my website: iscbdforme.org